What Happens If A Parent Does Not Pay Court Ordered Child Support?

Child Support is one of the most common and most enforced areas of family law. Isn Dissolutions of Marriage with minor children or paternity action, one of the most important decisions that is made is which parent shall have the majority of time-sharing with the child(ren). Most commonly the non-custodial parent or parent with the least time-sharing will be subject to child support by order of the court. Failure to pay allotted amount of child support on-time can result in several consequences in Florida. If the payor parent is not paying the ordered support, the payee parent can file a motion for civil contempt and a judge can determine if there is a valid violation of court order child support. If a violation is acknowledged by the judge, he or she can hold the payor parent in contempt. If found in contempt there are several penalties that can be faced, such as:

  • An Income Withholding Order
  • A Purge Amount of Arrears to be paid by a certain date
  • A writ of bodily attachment
  • Prize Winning Seizure
  • An requirement to reimbursement payee for court costs and attorney’s fees
  • Passport Revoked
  • Incarceration


For any questions related to divorce, please contact the Martin Law Group in Celebration, Florida.

Martin Law Group, P.L.

Please follow and like us: