If A Parent Does Not Pay Court Ordered Child Support

Child support is one of the most common and most enforced areas of family law. In dissolution of marriage cases with minor children or paternity action, one of the most important decisions that is made is which parent shall have the majority of time-sharing with the child(ren). Most commonly the non-custodial parent or parent with the least time-sharing will be subject to child support by order of the court. I know what you are thinking…”that’s not fair!”


If you failure to pay allotted amount of child support on-time can result in several consequences consider in Florida. For example, if the paying parent is not paying the ordered support, then the payee parent can file a motion for civil contempt and a judge can determine if there is a valid violation of court order child support. If a violation is acknowledged by the judge, he or she can hold the paying parent in contempt. If found in contempt there are several penalties that can be faced, such as:

  • An Income Withholding Order
  • A Purge Amount of Arrears to be paid by a certain date
  • A writ of bodily attachment
  • Prize Winning Seizure
  • An requirement to reimbursement payee for court costs and attorney’s fees
  • Passport Revoked
  • Incarceration

After a divorce has been settled, child custody and support is usually arranged. It is more likely possible that a non custodial parent might face financial difficulties and not be able to pay child support in the amount that was decided. But there are other options that can be considered. If you are an individual that has a lost your job, facing other drastic changes, has a medical or other emergency, and other indicators that can affect the ability to pay, Martin Law Group can you help. We help reasonable people redefine their family. Please visit www.callmartinlawgroup.com/family-law

Please follow and like us: